Changing trends of software testing market
With the rapid increase in products and applications by n folds, the software product testing market is also undergoing transformation to align with the disrupting environment. Testing services are increasingly shifting to quality assurance in order to ensure business transformation. The Global software testing market is experiencing changes that is enforcing the move from being product centric to customer centric. Here are few facts about testing market as a whole.
According to Nelson Hall, the overall software testing market size is going to be $34 bn by 2017. Gartner predicts that the worldwide discrete software testing market spending is to be increased by 14 % CAGR with product testing growing at the rate of 9.1 % and application testing at 15.3 %. Also, application testing acquires around 90 % of the software testing market services. When we talk about traditional vs specialized testing services, the traditional testing services spent is getting transferred more and more to specialized testing spent which is due to the disruption in technologies and thus leading to faster time to market.
Change is the only constant!
As customers’ seek for improved quality standards of products and services with tighter costs, the pressure is built for vendors around driving automation, improved workflow and traceability and metrics capabilities in order to move up the ladder of maturity levels of testing and contribute to QA transformation.
Adoption and awareness of independent testing services has been growing, most rapidly in the United States, followed by the broader Americas, Western Europe, and Asia/Pacific regions.
Here are few notes by various key analysts and sources that reflects how the ecosystem of testing services is changing and shifting towards the integration of application and product.
- 3/5 IT leaders state that their organizations are prioritizing investments that support the integration of existing IT systems – World Quality Report
- More integration is needed for applications and information, as well as for the incorporation of emerging technologies (mobility, social, cloud and analytics) into solutions – Gartner
- Evolution towards end-to-end integrated test frameworks – IDC
Following are the prime software testing market trends:
- Testing in agile: Today, most of the organizations requirement fast and responsive Quality assurance testing services integrated with agile development methods. Today, Agile adoption stands at the highest priority for most of the industries today, agile test approach being a part of it.
- Flexible pricing models: Today, there cannot be “one size fits all” pricing model for all types of services. The pricing models not only vary according to the services, test use cases but also on the region and the clients. The models can vary from pay per use, use case based, outcome based, time and material etc.
- Crowdsourcing: This model is driven by specialized testing services , crowdsourcing is gaining traction in the market due to more of localization and less need for specific knowledge. Hence there is low cost involved which makes ti easily adaptable.
- Service virtualization and Testing is about continuous Quality: “Testing tools that capture, model, and simulate application behavior to test the functional and nonfunctional behavior of applications in a simulated production environment” – Forrester
- Service virtualization is similar to devops model and hence leads to faster development and testing of complex application scenarios. It is best suited for complex environments in order to reduce obstacles to testing, simulating production environments and decoupling integration dependencies.
- Cloud to be the driving force in testing market: In order to deal with the upcoming IT infrastructure issues with booming technologies, testing on cloud or testing cloud can provide on demand testing services which enables handling of projects that are critical in nature and require faster time to market.
- Cloud testing incorporates automated testing tools and covers beyond functional testing.
- Mobility defining the next generation testing requirements:
- With the proliferation of mobile devices there is a need to ensure that the quality of testing has to be standardized. With the boom in mobile industry, the expectation is that there will be a hike in the mobile testing tools in the near future. Mobile testing services can include mobile application testing, mobile device testing and enterprise mobility and systems integration testing services. Mobile application testing services can include test planning and advisory, test scope definition, test case development, test case execution, regression testing, system testing, end to end testing, user acceptance testing, automation testing etc. Mobile testing services are going to change the landscape of testing in the near future.
- Automation and Standardization: With the increase in focus on faster time to market and shorter delivery time, the practice will incline towards creating standard tools and accelerators that shorten project timelines and reduce the risk factor. Also, with the increased demand of more for less among CIOs, automation and reusability is emerging as the hot buttons of testing services.